Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy 4th of July: Tour de Unicorn


USA! USA! USA!
As all good Americans know, the Fourth of July is a holiday to celebrate our independence, and the best to do this it not just by watching the Coney Island hot dog eating contest on ESPN, but also by shooting off fireworks. 
So, since I am proud to be an American, when I was invited to go on a 50 mile bike ride to a fireworks store and back, I was in.  Okay, I'll confess: I was in at "50 mile bike ride". I met up with the guys on Saturday afternoon, and it was a hot (temperatures were in the 90's) afternoon.  I had 3 water bottles of frozen Gatorade, all of which I had consumed by mile 25.  The guys had panniers and a bike trailor, ready for business.  We started out by going through Pittsburgh's North Side, where it seemed the entire city was well along on the process of getting shitty before Kenny Chesney at Heinz field.  [That link is actually pretty misleading, as it's a well known fact that Kenny Chesney is a Saints fan].

The day prior to the bike ride, in a 4th of July themed blog post by the Bike Snob, we saw this fantastic and inspiring You Tube video of these boys showing off the "Unicorn bike":


Gotta get a picture of the cross bike at the
fireworks store
I love the space of "Really really good ideas as seen on a You Tube Video", and I believe that the Unicorn bike falls into this class.  Early on in the ride it was established that I wasn't alone in thinking that this was a great idea.  At the fireworks store, I personally had only one real interest and that was making the unicorn bike happen.  Otherwise, I'm actually pretty content with several boxes of sparklers left over from the Phish Superball last year where I only ended up lighting about 5 of them.



Bike loaded up for the Fourth.


When we returned to Pittsburgh, the unicorn bike was still a good idea. However, some lessons were learned from watching the boys on the You Tube video.  Firstly, we did it at night.  Secondly, I had someone else light it.  And lastly, we pointed the thing away from my face, looking less unicorn but feeling hella safer.  That's how the adults do shit.  Anyways, here it is:



Happy Independence Day, America!!!  






No comments:

Post a Comment