Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bike crafts: The Mardi Gras bike

Another huge problem in my life that was instantly solved by learning how to ride a bicycle was that of Mardi Gras.  I lived about half a mile to the closest parade point, and then to move anywhere along the parade route is additional walking.  Parking and general moving by car around the parade area is really obnoxious, and not worth it when you live so close.  Riding a bicycle solves all of these problems, and is the natural way to move along the route.  You can effortlessly go a few miles down to the Avenue Pub, where uptown parade watching is optimal (in between the family scene by Napoleon and the tourist scene downtown, plus they sell Jell-o shots and have bathrooms).

The Mardi Gras bike at Mardi Gras.  Geaux Hornets!
If you read my post about the Sedona, you may start to wonder what ever happened to that $80 mountain bike from Wal-Mart.  Because when I got the Sedona, I clearly made the jump from owning one bike to two bikes, one of them a piece of crap.  

The clear solution was to get some caulk (hehe) and gild that bike frame with Mardi Gras beads and glitter, making a festive mode of festival transportation.  I spent a weekend in the driveway doing just that, and made a very sweet looking ride, as you can see.

The major problem was that it weighed about 40 lbs, and all I wanted to do come Mardi Gras was ride the Sedona.  I ended up giving this bike to Marla, who totally rocked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment